Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Personal Critic Manifesto

Right now I am reading “The Clown” by Heinrich Böll. The main character Hans Schnier is a clown who has had some back luck. After receiving a number of bad reviews Hans’ friend attempts to comfort him by saying “You must bear in mind, that all critics are silly, vain, and egotistical.” To which Hans simply replies “And if someone says I’m good, what do I do then?”
Critics do have a purpose, as long as their reviews are constructive. Their analysis should be based on a strict criterion of factual knowledge which applies to their current review. And they should remain factual, never personal.

However, a critic should include their own personal information. Such as age, gender, or even their hobbies, any information that paints a portrait of them so that you can see what kind of person they are. Because if you know what kind of person they are you will know whether or not their critical review would be in tune with your own. For example, my 10 year old brother likes music that I find horrible. Therefore, if he would tell me to listen to a new album because he thinks it is good, I know that there is a good chance that I won’t like it. By knowing a critic’s personal information you can know whether or not you relate to them. So if they are a 90 year-old grandma they are not going to provide the same review a 20 something college student would. And knowing that information you can go with the review from the critic you feel you have the most in common with.

I think a critic can be bias or even should be bias, as long as they admit them. For example, I don’t like movies that are about movies. Movies about movies are any movie about actors or directors trying to be successful or the worst kind is a movie about a person making a movie. I have a bias against these movies and as soon as I know something I am watching fits this category I just shut it off. I think a movie about a movie is lazy, and something only a person working in or attempting to work in the film industry can relate too, because I definitely can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment